Monday, January 24, 2011

Thank You, Fred Nicole

I had been over climbing videos for a while. Shirtless dudes filming other shirtless dudes on hard problems with shaky camerawork over and over again. Even the best videos seemed pointless unless I was trying to glean beta.

Last night I finally saw Chuck Fryberger's CORE. I know that it has been out for a while, but I never cared enough to seek it out, and certainly not enough to pay for it. There was a free showing only blocks from my house though, and of course I had nothing planned.

After over an hour of strong men and women (but mostly shirtless men) climbing in slow motion the film ended with a segment on Fred Nicole. I just spent five minutes trying to preface Fred's name with something like "bouldering legend" or "pioneer," but it seemed too empty, too typical. He is just Fred Nicole, and that is what makes the segment memorable.

So here's to Fred Nicole. Thank you.



-BLOCHEAD

No comments:

Post a Comment