Friday, June 25, 2010

Castle Rock

Slopers and heat never mix. This past trip was no exception. Castle Rock is a beautiful area with very interesting boulders reminiscent of Horse Pens 40, but like HP40 slopers, proper temps are key. Unfortunately this made the climbing hard to deal with. I found myself thinking time and again that I could send if it were just ten degrees cooler. As it was I was not able to finish anything harder than V6. Overwhelmed by heat, bugs, and a sheer lack of motivation, we left a day early.

Despite the experience I am hesitant to beat on the area. There are a number of classics that in the right temperature would climb wonderfully, just not at the end of June.

Here are a few pictures:
Photo: Liberty Herring

Photo: Liberty Herring

-BLOCHEAD

No comments:

Post a Comment