Thursday, May 20, 2010

Roofs and Trees - Priest Draw Day 1


Four and a half hours from Las Vegas to the forest. I drove in as the sun fell and the trees turned to black. Holding only a food stained piece of paper with a scribbled topo in my lap (Big thanks to the folks at the local gym Vertical Relief for the map) I drove into Priest Draw.



Custom map courtesy of Vertical Relief

The thermometer in my car read 46 degrees. Thin air crisp with pine, a sliver of moon, and a Bulgarian in a van greeted me as I stepped out of the car. I asked the stranger in the van if this was the spot, it was. He then saw me dragging my crashpads from the car and sparked up a conversation. We went back and forth, psyching each other up. Minko had done everything in the park, and I hadn't touched or seen a roof yet. He couldn't believe it and assured me that he'd show me the classics in the morning before leaving on a ten-hour drive to Rifle.

-BLOCHEAD

No comments:

Post a Comment